Grown Up.

It's time to take  a break from all this fashion posting which is so NOT me and rant about something, how shall I put this, that I've experienced/gone through/felt (pick the word you think would fit this post most).

Going to Deria City Center the other day turned out to be more than just a Christmas shopping trip, in stead I felt something I haven't felt in a while.. I felt like an adult. Most people who know me well will know that I constantly whine and whinge about not feeling like an adult because I live with my parents and depend on them for all my basics, without them I don't know where I'd live or whether I'd be able to nourish myself. The one thing I'm looking forward to most is the day I am able to break free from my norm and fend for my own needs. Due to these two factor I've never felt like a 'grown up'. Little did I know that this trip to a mall I've been to a gazillion times before would make me feel slightly different.

When we left the mall after purchasing a lot of unnecessary items and some cat food, I started to think about Dubai and how much it had changed. Gone are the days when Deria City Center was the shopping mall, the mall where you went with all your classmates on the last day of school, the mall where you always ended up on dates, the mall where we had all run into Shilpa Sheatty on our 'last day of school' trip.. This mall seemed to be a key character in so many of my most fond memories. I also remember having to rely on my dad for all my transportation needs, how he would only drop me to the mall in the mornings and I'd spend the whole day there with the boy I was crushing on and how I'd yearn for the day I'd have my own car so I could leave the date/outing whenever I wanted (the days when the metro was non-existent). However, now I have my own car, I can go wherever I want (not just a mall) and spend as much time as I want with my friends (till my mother rings me and reminds me of my curfew, that is!)

It's a little bit sad though, even though it is a liberating feeling. Why 'sad'? Because I no longer spend time with majority of the people I used to in high school and nowadays I feel like we do not appreciate the time we spend with a lot of people. An outing is just that.. an outing! A reason to do something because we have nothing better to do! Back then, going out was something of a novelty we could only do it when our parents permitted us to and according to their schedules (when they were free to take us wherever we wanted!) We also had to think before we decided on how much money we'd ask them for!

Anyways this has been a long post and now I must sleep since I have an early day tomorrow!

Goodnight people!

PS: This post will probably not apply to majority of the people reading it but hey it's my blog and I guess I can post as I please!
Also, you can probably expect more blog posts like these because I don't think I have the capacity to post blogs on just one thing! xx


3 comments:

  1. Change the font color or the background, i feel like im tripping after i read the whole thing.

    Nostalgia FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! This post made me smile! :) I agree with the whole novelty factor about going "out". It used to be so hard back then, but I'm glad it hasn't remained the same. High school feels like a different world now! We are still shaping into the adults we want to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good read! The red, blue and white background is indeed very British!

    ReplyDelete